Autumn is a season full of possibilities, in the Mediterranean. The temperature is milder and you can do other activities that are more complicated with the heat of summer. For example, enjoy a romantic picnic. To make everything perfect, we show you some tips on where and how to spend an ideal picnic day. Besides, it’s a great idea to surprise your partner!
Where to enjoy a romantic picnic
When you think of a romantic picnic, the image that comes to mind is that of a couple in the countryside, on a checkered tablecloth and with a basket full of food. This idea is very romantic, but the Mediterranean allows for a few more options.
One of the possibilities offered by the Costa Blanca is the possibility of enjoying a delicious picnic on the beach. Tourism is less intense in the autumn season, so you can relax by eating something on the shore.
The many cliffs on the Costa Blanca are perfect for a sunset picnic. For example, near Benidorm is the Sierra Helada, a natural park that ends abruptly at the sea. This provides great views for enjoying the most romantic time of the day, the sunset.
For the timing to be perfect, it is not only the location that needs to be considered, but also the choice of food. You have to make sure that nothing is missing and that everything is delicious. With the following tips you will be sure to get it right.
10 great ideas for a romantic picnic
There are many foods that are ideal for a romantic picnic. If you choose them well, you will make the occasion perfect. However, if it is the first time you are going to prepare a basket for two, you have to take into account some details:
- Avoid food that needs to be heated. You can’t reheat it, so bring food that can be enjoyed at room temperature.
- Avoid foods in sauce. If you do take food in a sauce you run the risk of it spilling out on the road or falling on your clothes and ruining your day.
- Don’t forget anything. Even if it’s a simple meal, it’s important to make a list of everything you need. Write down the food, drink, napkins, plates, cutlery, bread and everything else you need.
- Use a tablecloth. If you are thinking of going to an area with tables, do not forget the tablecloth. The table may be dirty or there may be no room and you may have to find a space in the grass. A tablecloth is always a good option.
- Take just the right thing. Think about whether you are going to have a brunch, a lunch, a snack-dinner and take only what you are going to eat. An excess of food will bring more problems than advantages. On the one hand, you have to carry all that weight, on the other, you’ll eat more than you should and that doesn’t always feel good.
At this point, all that remains is to choose the best meals for the occasion. The following 10 suggestions are always welcome and can be found in any grocery shop.
- Salad. Salads are among the picnic classics. They are available with vegetables, with rice, with vegetables, with pasta or with potatoes.
- Sandwich. Another classic that does always work is the sandwich. The variety is infinite.
- Fruit. A tupperware with watermelon, with grapes, with apples or with any other fresh fruit is ideal for a picnic.
- Cheese. Cheese is perfect for a special occasion. Besides, you know that “grapes and cheese taste like kisses”.
- Cold meats and sausages. There are some meat preparations that can be eaten cold, in addition to deli products such as cured ham or pork loin.
- Olives. Olives are a symbol of the Mediterranean diet that cannot be missed at a picnic.
- Spreadable. Spreadable foods, such as pâté or hummus, are delicious and easy to transport. Don’t forget some bread to go with it!
- Nachos with guacamole. Nachos with guacamole or pico de gallo are fun and perfect for a couple, watching a sunset, for example.
- Coca. If you don’t know what a salty coca is, you’ll find out when you get to the community in Alicante. It is a delicacy baked on a bread dough that can be eaten cold, just like the empanada, for example.
- Potato omelette. The Spanish omelette could not be missing from this list, which is probably the most versatile and consumed dish when it comes to eating out.
A final recommendation is that you accompany any of these dishes with a good Alicante wine. Depending on the food you bring, you can choose a young, semi-sweet or muscatel wine. You can also bring some dessert to finish the meal.
With these ideas for a romantic picnic, you are assured of success. Do you have any other ideas? We would be delighted if you shared them with us in the comments!