Benidorm has a warm and sunny climate all year round, which is why it is always full of tourists. They are attracted by the atmosphere of the city and also by its beaches. Another of the advantages of visiting the capital of tourism is to get to know other nearby towns. From Hotel Don Pancho, we show you what to see in Villajoyosa on your next visit to the area.
What do you need to know before discovering what to see in Villajoyosa?
Villajoyosa is a coastal town located in the province of Alicante, in the Valencian Community. Its history dates back to prehistoric times, when the region was inhabited by the indigenous Iberians. During the rule of the Roman Empire, the area was an important centre of trade and agricultural production.
In the Middle Ages, Villajoyosa became an important fishing and commercial port. Later, during the Spanish War of Independence, the town played an important role in the fight against the French.
Over the centuries, Villajoyosa’s economy was based on fishing and agriculture. However, in the 20th century, the town experienced significant economic growth due to the textile and chocolate industry. The Chocolate Valor factory, founded in 1881, became an important economic engine and remains a popular tourist attraction today.
Nowadays, it is also a tourist destination that receives many visitors, as it is located right next to Benidorm. Do you want to know some places that you can’t miss? We show them to you below.
What can you see on your visit to Villajoyosa?
Surely you already know that you cannot miss Villajoyosa, here you have the essential visits:
- Beaches of Villajoyosa. Villajoyosa has a wide variety of beaches, from sandy beaches to smaller, quieter coves. Below we will show you the most popular ones.
- Villajoyosa’s seafront promenade. The promenade is one of the town’s most popular attractions, offering a stunning view of the sea and a pleasant atmosphere for strolling, enjoying a coffee or just relaxing. You can visit at any time, but we recommend you do so at sunset.
- Villajoyosa Castle. The castle of Villajoyosa is an ancient fortification located on a hill. It offers incredible views of the town and the sea.
- Chocolateria Valor. The Chocolatería Valor is an old chocolate factory that has been transformed into a museum, which receives thousands of visitors a year. Here you can learn about the history of chocolate and also learn about the manufacturing process.
- Old quarter. The old quarter of Villajoyosa is a charming labyrinth of streets and squares with a large number of colourful houses and small shops. The essence of a village dedicated to fishing for centuries has not been lost.
- Fishing Museum. The Fishing Museum is a must in this town. It is a small museum that shows the history and culture of fishing in Villajoyosa, including old boats and fishing equipment.
You already have a few ideas about how to spend a day in Villajoyosa. In the next section, we focus on its beaches.
What are the best beaches in Villajoyosa?
The town has a wide variety of beaches and all of them are worth a visit. Here are some of the best beaches in Villajoyosa:
- Villajoyosa beach. It is a large sandy beach in the centre of the town and is ideal for spending a day enjoying the warmth of its waters.
- Tortuguer Cove. This small cove is actually a rocky beach located in a protected bay. It is perfect for nature lovers and also for those seeking peace and quiet.
- Cala dels Crusats. This is another small rocky cove. It offers an incredible panoramic view and you will love its natural surroundings.
- Almardá beach. This beach is one of the longest and best known in the town. It has a large sandy area and a promenade where you can have a drink at the end of the day.
- L’Estacio beach. Another of the best-known beaches in the area. It attracts both visitors and locals for its size, the tranquillity of its waters and its location
These are just some of the best beaches in Villajoyosa. We encourage you to get to know them on your next visit to the area. As in Benidorm, its climate will allow you to take a swim on many occasions and on others to take a leisurely stroll.
Now that you know what to see in Villajoyosa, do not miss this town when you come to Benidorm. Of course, at Hotel Don Pancho we invite you to spend those days with us. This way the experience will be perfect.