Do you want to make a getaway to a destination where the weather is good? If you are planning a trip to the Costa Blanca, we recommend you to visit Alicante, where you can find a wide variety of beautiful places to enjoy your stay to the fullest. If you don’t know the area and you don’t know where to start looking, we suggest you a list of essential places to visit. Beautiful places in Alicante? Here they are!
Places to visit in Alicante
Santa Barbara Castle
As soon as you enter the city you will see a large mountain with a large castle on top called the Castillo de Santa Barbara. The fortress has a certain popularity among the people of Alicante because it is located in the centre of the city and because, depending on the perspective, you can see that the mountain is shaped like a face, which has been nicknamed “Moor’s face“.
If you wish to climb the mountain you can access it via different branches, if you do not wish to ascend on foot, by bicycle or by car, you can choose to take a lift. Once at the top, you will be treated to spectacular views of the entire Alicante area. And if you wish to enter the castle, after paying a small fee, you can go into a museum and walk around the ruins of this majestic fortress.
Beaches in Alicante city
If you walk through the centre of Alicante, you will notice that if you walk towards the lower part of the province you will find the Postiguet beach, although the coast is small, it has a wide variety of cafes and restaurants around it to relax and enjoy the good weather all day long. There is also a free toilet area less than 100 metres away.
If you want to try another more intimate beach, but not so far from the city centre, we recommend you to visit the Albufereta beach, where just next to it you will have a wide variety of small coves, in case you don’t want to be on the sand and prefer to be on rocky ground.
Finally, we suggest you visit the beach of San Juan, it is the longest beach in Alicante, it is approximately 15-20 minutes drive from the centre, and if you don’t have a car we recommend you to take the bus or tram, where the connection centre – Playa San Juan is fantastic. This beach joins with the beach of Campello to form the largest beach in the whole province. On the San Juan beach you can walk along the promenade, where you will find several restaurants with different types of food. And on the Campello side you can opt for a more intimate and quiet stay, where there will not be as much movement as on the other side.
Other beautiful places in Alicante
If you want to get to know this small province in depth and explore the most beautiful places in the central area, we recommend you to visit these areas:
- Calle de las Setas: this is an elongated street where on both sides you can enjoy the best restaurants and bars in the area. There are also several local shops where you can do your shopping. This street is so magical because it is decorated with giant mushrooms with faces, simulating that you are walking through a forest. There is also a children’s area for the little ones to enjoy while the grown-ups are eating.
- Explanada: This is one of the most representative areas of Alicante. It is a promenade where you can walk on a marble floor in three different colours simulating the waves of the sea. On both sides of the promenade you will find large palm trees, an auditorium and a wide variety of restaurants with terraces and hotels.
- El Patio de Santa Cruz: If you want to visit the old town of Alicante and you go inspecting the area, you will arrive to one of the most beautiful neighbourhoods with great personality of the province. These are small patios with white balconies next to other types of colours and tiles, where pots with different plants and flowers dominate the area.
- Iglesia San Nicolás and Basílica de Santa María: They are the most famous religious temples in Alicante, where the incredible exterior and interior architecture together with the façade leave no one indifferent.
- Tabarca Island: If you want to go to a small fishing island, you can take a boat from the promenade to get there. On the island you will find several small coves and restaurants where you can sample the local Mediterranean diet. You can also stroll around the village and do your shopping.
If you don’t have a hotel to enjoy Alicante, stay with us and in just 40 minutes by car you can reach Alicante. Are you going to miss it?