The fact that millions of people visit the province of Alicante every year is no coincidence. In fact, there are many reasons that can lead you to one of the areas with the most places to visit in the whole country. It is true that some places are the most famous, but there are many others that deserve at least one day in them. Do you want to know what to do in Benitachell? From Hotel Don Pancho, we invite you to spend your holidays with us and at least one day visiting this amazing town.
What to do in Benitachell to enjoy the town?
When you arrive in this town and ask yourself what to do in Benitachell, the answer is that you have a lot to discover. We’ll start by focusing on the town itself, but later on you’ll discover that this is just the beginning of a journey that will make your visit unforgettable:
- Historic centre. It is situated on a promontory, although most of the area is occupied by a large housing estate called “Cumbre del Sol”. Further inland, you will discover the typical design of the villages of Alicante that were once inhabited by the Arabs. Narrow, steeply sloping streets.
- El Portalet. The first houses that were built in the town, together with the church, formed part of the wall that surrounded the town. It had only two entrances to be well protected from attacks and only one of them remains today, which is called the Portalet.
- Church of St. Mary Magdalene. It dates back to the 18th century and its style is neo-baroque. We would dare to say that it is the most important historical building in Benitachell. Both its façade and its bell tower stand out.
- Oratory of Jaime Llobell. This is another historic building that you can find in the town. It is more recent in time, as it was built at the end of the 19th century by Jaime Llobell, who founded the village we know today. Its purpose was to venerate the Virgin of the Rosary, whose image you will find inside. It also houses a chapel for religious celebrations of all kinds and some paintings.
- Benitachell market. If you are only going to spend one day in the town, we recommend that you go on a Wednesday. This is when the Benitachell market is held. You can enjoy the atmosphere of the village, but also buy food, clothes, typical local products or handicrafts.
- Riuraus. These are typical constructions that you will find throughout Benitachell and are used to dry the grapes.
These are some of the places we recommend on your tour of the town of Benitachell, but there are still more places to enjoy. We continue to discover its coves.
Which coves in Benitachell are not to be missed?
Although the centre of the town is far from the coast, Benitachell has some incredible coves, so be prepared to visit at least some of them:
- Moraig cove. It is a cove of stones, located in a unique environment in the middle of nature. It is one of the most popular beaches due to its crystal clear waters, perfect for swimming or water sports. It is at the foot of a cliff and if you can only visit one cove, we recommend this one.
- Llebeig cove. This is another spectacular cove surrounded by cliffs. It only has one drawback and that is that it is not easy to access. Although it has some buildings, in general it is surrounded by nature. The beach is made of rock and gravel, and its waters are as clear as all the others in the area.
- Les Taleies cove. This is another pebble beach that you will find in the middle of the two previous ones. It is prepared for you to spend a quiet day at the beach, but you can also practice water sports.
- Des Testos cove. This cove can only be reached by boat or by descending a ravine. This means that you will find peace and quiet, as well as spectacular views. We say this because it is surrounded by cliffs and vegetation.
Why should you visit the Benitachell Cliffs Route?
We have talked about coves surrounded by cliffs and now we would like to recommend you to do the Benitachell Cliffs Route. This is a beautiful 7-kilometre trail between two coves you already know, the Moraig and Llebeig coves.
We can’t say that this is an easy route and that’s why you should be well prepared. However, it is worthwhile to get to know some of the flora and fauna of the area, but above all to enjoy the incredible views of the Mediterranean.
You have to make a stop on the way to discover the Cap d’Or viewpoint and the Cova del Arcs, which is at the foot of the cliff of the Cala del Moraig.
Once you finish the tour, we recommend you to stay with us. At Hotel Don Pancho we can show you what to do in Benitachell and how to enjoy some unforgettable days with us.