A healthy lifestyle and taking care of your diet is key both at home and when you eat out. In the latter case it is not always easy, as many options are very unhealthy. For this reason, in the following lines we would like to tell you about one of the best options. We are referring to a Mediterranean cuisine restaurant like ours.
What is a Mediterranean restaurant?
Como su nombre indica, un restaurante de cocina mediterránea es aquel que se basa en la conocida dieta mediterránea, que es típica de los países bañados por este mar. Está considerada como una de las más saludables y tiene una serie de principios que conocerás en el siguiente apartado.
As its name suggests, a Mediterranean cuisine restaurant is one that is based on the well-known Mediterranean diet, which is typical of the countries bathed by this sea. It is considered to be one of the healthiest and has a series of principles that you will learn about in the following section.
Which foods does the Mediterranean diet rely on and which do you advise against?
Unfortunately, not all households follow a Mediterranean diet. Lack of time and other issues have led to a neglect of food and a shift to less healthy cooking.
Next, we want you to get to know the pillars of the Mediterranean diet, these are the pillars:
- Olive oil. Olive oil has to be an essential ingredient in the diet. In fact, it should be the main fat used. It cannot be overlooked that this food is rich in vitamin E, beta-carotene and monounsaturated fatty acids. Its health benefits are innumerable and it also gives a unique flavour to all dishes.
- Vegetables. The foods that should be most abundant in a Mediterranean diet are those of vegetable origin. It is recommended that you eat five portions of fruit and vegetables every day. You should also opt for legumes and nuts. All these foods are good for your health and allow you to eat a varied diet.
- Cereals. Cereals should also be present in the daily diet, whether in the form of pasta, rice or any other form. Ideally, they should be wholegrain. Remember that cereals are one of the main sources of carbohydrates, nutrients that are essential for energy.
- Dairy. Dairy products should also play a key role in your diet, as they are a source of protein, minerals and vitamins. You can consume them in the form of milk, yoghurt or cheese.
- Processed foods. Processed foods should be an exception in your diet, as they are detrimental to your health.
- Seasonal food. As far as possible, always try to eat seasonal foods.
- Red meat. You don’t need to cut red meat out of your diet, but you do need to eat it in moderation, once or twice a week at most.
- Eggs. Eggs are also another essential food in the Mediterranean diet, but always in moderation, no more than three or four eggs a week.
- Fish. Oily fish should not be consumed more than twice a week, white fish can be more present in your diet.
- Sweets. For many people it is a real challenge to do without sweets in their diet, but you should try to eliminate them as far as possible. Opt for fruit or nuts to calm that momentary craving.
- Water. Drinking water is essential if you want to be healthy. It is essential that you drink at least two litres of water every day. Many health problems are associated with poor hydration.
- Wine. Wine can be present in your diet, but always in moderation. Of course, unless there are any circumstances that advise against its consumption.
In addition to all these dietary tips, the Mediterranean diet should be accompanied by physical exercise and adequate rest.
What are the advantages of the Mediterranean diet?
The Mediterranean diet has great advantages, these are the main ones:
- Obesity. The Mediterranean diet is a great help in avoiding excess weight. By including healthy foods and leaving out unhealthy ones, it controls daily calorie intake.
- Diabetes. It has been proven that a Mediterranean diet reduces the chances of suffering from diabetes.
- Heart. The Mediterranean diet also protects your heart and reduces the incidence of all kinds of cardiovascular diseases.
- Mind. This diet not only improves your physical health, but also your mental health. In fact, there are studies that link it to better cognitive function.
- Fractures. The Mediterranean diet helps to reduce fractures, which is very important for everyone, especially the elderly.
Now that you know some of the benefits of the Mediterranean diet, we invite you to put it into practice every day in your own home. But if you would also like to do so on special occasions, at the Hotel Don Pancho we offer an infinite number of dishes based on this diet every day.
So, if you want to enjoy a great Mediterranean restaurant on your next holiday, be sure to visit us!