At this time when we must stay at home #IStayAtHome, we have enough free time to practice our hobbies: sports, dancing, reading, learning foreign languages … For us, one of our favorites is undoubtedly cooking and so, we want to share with you some of our recipes. Would you like to prepare them at home?
In this post we want to present you how we make “Arroz de Senyoret” , one of our star rice dishes. Many of our guests have congratulated us on, something we are deeply proud of. In fact, we remember an article published in the Diario Información where it shows a selection of all the places to eat and enjoy the best rice and paella in Alicante.
This week our chef, Juan Cebollada, has been at his kitchen at home preparing this recipe so we can share it with you. Shall we start?
The first thing before starting to make our rice is to prepare our homemade “fumet de peix” (fish stock) and the “Salmorreta”, an essential sauce for paellas, which we use daily in our kitchen.
The salmorreta is one of the protagonists of Alicante’s paellas and rice dishes, whether they are made with meat or fish. In addition, this sauce can also be used for a great variety of typical stews of the zone. We, as you can imagine, use many kilos of tomatoes and spicy red peppers for its preparation, but do not worry because the unused one can be kept in the freezer for another day and used in other recipes.
- 7 kg of ripe tomatoes
- 1 kg of spicy red peppers
- 250 grams of garlic
- 0.5 litres of olive oil
- 1 bunch of fresh parsley
You can adapt the quantities of each ingredient according to your favourite flavours to enhance the one you like best, and reduce them proportionally if necessary.
- First we clean the spicy red peppers from seeds.
- We chop the tomatoes and peel the garlic cloves.
- Put the olive oil in a pot and fry the spicy red peppers, and brown the garlic.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and parsley and blend until you get a thick paste.
We already have our Salmorreta, a basic sauce that as we have mentioned before, can be used for many Spanish stews. You could also try in your own stews, we are positive it will give a special and delicious touch.
Another basic ingredient for paella is fumet de peix (fish stock). If you don’t have the ingredients or want to save some time, you can buy it ready-made. Of course, we always make it homemade in our kitchen.
- 1 kg of “trash fish”
- 0.5 kg of monkfish bones
- Shrimp heads
- 2 carrots
- 2 leeks
- 1 onion
- 1 head of garlic
- Bay leaves
- Fresh Parsley
- 50 grs. Black ground pepper
- 50 grs. Sweet paprika
- 5 litres of water
As in the previous recipe, you can reduce the amounts proportionally or freeze the one you are not going to use for other recipes. You simply have to put it in glass jars or in a lid, without it reaching the edge because in the freezing process, the broth will increase its volume.
- We have to start from cold water.
- We put all the ingredients in a large saucepan and bring them to a boil and skim the broth.
- We lower the heat and simmer it for 40 minutes.
- And finally we strain the broth.
Arroz de Senyoret
Senyoret’s Rice, is a rice for “ladies and gentlemen”, that is to say, it has the prawns peeled, and the fish cut in small pieces so that we do not have to stain our hands, nor to use a knife. Very practical! Ready to prepare your rice “Don Pancho” style?
- 800 grs. of rice
- 80 grs. of salmorreta
- 0.5 Kg of peeled shrimp
- 1 kg of squid
- 0.250 kg of cuttlefish
- 2.5 litres of fish stock
- Olive oil
- In a paella pan 80 cm in diameter, with olive oil, we fry the squid and cuttlefish in small pieces.
- We added the salmorreta that we prepared earlier.
- We sautéed and incorporated the rice and saffron.
- Then we add the hot fish stock. Spread the rice with the bits all over the paella and cook over a high heat for 10 minutes.
- We test, rectify salt and lower the heat. We leave about 8 minutes more until the rice is cooked and the broth is completely consumed. When there is little broth left and the rice starts to appear, add the peeled prawns.
- Leave to stand for 2 minutes before serving.
¡Et voilà! We have our rice ready. We hope you like our recipe and that you will try to prepare it at home. Remember that you can adjust the quantities according to the number of diners. Share with us your experience, we would love to know how it turned out.
All the best, it won’t be long now before we see each other again at the hotel and enjoy our delicious cuisine together!